Friday, March 20, 2009

Oh, the glorious love of God

Haha...I haven't posted for a while. This is something I wrote in my journal earlier this week.

Do I look at the cross and think, "That was so good of you, Jesus, but not really necessary." I wouldn't tell someone I believe this--I know theology well enough. But does my life and my attitude--my practical theology--show it?

The offense of the cross is that it shows us how unworthy of love we are. Someone had to die for our own dirty sins.

Yet the beauty of the cross is that he does love us that much. Not because we're worthy, but simply because he loves us. It seems like foolish love, to die for an enemy; but not if you are able to make that enemy into a friend and a lover...to make that whore into a bride in white...to make that selfish snob into a humble, generous giver of life.

His love is of a sort that tears us down by destroying our presumption of self-sufficiency so that he can build us up into something truly beautiful--something that he truly delights in and which is somehow worthy of him.

"Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of the water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or blemish."
Ephesians 5:25-27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home